Monday, September 24, 2012

Growing Up in Books

Again I saw this on my cousins blog and she got it from else where (link to where she got it from is in her post)

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always loved to read and was more interested in books than my siblings. From a young age my cousin and I would read the same book at the same time just to see who could finish first I think Cazz beat me every time but it was fun trying to beat her. Like Cazz I was definitely one of those kids that hid under the covers so I could read after my bedtime. Most of my family are big readers especially my mum, cousin Cazz and Cazz’s mum so I was always encouraged to read.
I don’t remember every book I have ever read I probably don’t even remember half of the books I have read growing up but I do remember reading a lot of Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton.


I know for a fact that I haven’t read every book that the two authors have written but I have read quite a lot of them and if I had to choose between the two authors I would choose Roald Dahl I could read Matilda and The Witches over and over again. And at 24 I would be quite content sat reading any book that either of the two wrote.

While my cousin was reading The Babysitters Club and Nancy Drew I was reading anything I could get my hands on but one book that I remember reading over and over is My Naughty Little Sister it has to be the best book I have ever read (I am currently looking for the a new copy of the book as mine has gotten a bit ruined over the year so if anyone knows where I can get a copy of it please comment it has to be the one where there’s a story in it called My Naughty Little Sister and the Solid Silver Watch).

When I got to junior school (age 8) we read Charlotte’s Web in class and I loved it that much my parents got me the book. A year later I started reading The Sleepover Club series and these books helped me get through the tough time I was having at school, every time I opened a new book or turned the I was sucked further into the series and by the time I went to high school (age 11) I had read almost the whole series.

During high school I didn’t read as much as I used to because my friends would make fun. I know now that I should have just ignored them and read if I wanted to but after being bullied in junior school I didn’t want it to carry on in high school. I know that during the summer holidays in high school I used to spend them at my Nan’s and come home with a load of Children’s Classic Book’s (Heidi, The Railway Children, The Secret Garden etc) that I got from the market or for 99p from the book shop. Cazz also collected these books so we went back to reading the same books while I was at my Nan’s and like before she would always beat me and finish first.

In my last year of high school I started reading my mums Virginia Andrew’s books because I didn’t have anything of my own to read because I stopped reading I never bought any books so they were the only books in the house that I hadn’t read, I read the first book of the two series but didn’t want to read the rest. After high school Cazz lent me My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult and after reading that I started to read more often I borrowed a few Jodi Picoult books from her and my college tutor and then I decided that I wanted to read books by other authors and signed up to the library and borrowed books all the time.

In 2009 I caught the book buying bug from Cazz and spent practically all my money buying books from The Works or Asda.

In 2010 I got myself a copy of Alyson Noel’s Evermore it is the best Young Adult romance book I have ever read and I read all but the last book in the series and another series I have loved reading is Wintercraft by Jenna Burtenshaw, Wintercraft is the first series I have actually finished and loved every minute of it and I am sad that it ended.

Now I am reading more and more books I find that every month my to read list gets bigger and bigger and I know I will never finish all the books I have bought because I admit it I am addicted to buying books.

Growing up with books was fantastic and I can’t imagine what my life would be like without books, I am glad that they have always been a part of my life each book has its own story to tell and its own hidden meaning that each reader interprets there own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...