Friday, September 21, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman by Lily Blake

3/5 Stars

A breathtaking new vision of a legendary tale. Snow White is the only person in the land fairer than the Evil Queen who is out to destroy her. But in a twist to the fairytale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed becomes her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen. But what the wicked ruler never imagined is that the young woman threatening her reign has been training in the art of war with a huntsman who was dispatched to kill her.

Snow White and the Huntsman is one of a few books I have read before seeing the movie first but I did not really enjoy the book as much as I hoped I would. Snow White was my favourite fairytale as a kid so I assumed that I would love this book as well.

The book was a nice quick read and I am sure everyone knows how the fairytale goes, the only difference is in this fairytale Snow White is now a warrior. Unlike in the original story there is no romantic side to it no 'Snow White and the Prince instantly fell in love'.

I have to say that I wish there was more of a back story on why the King invaded the Evil Queen's village so we would be able to would be to understand why she wanted revenge on the King.

The imagery was great and I could picture the castle, the battles and the enchanted forest but the characters lacked the much needed emotions so I couldn't connect to their feelings.

If you love fairytale's and fairytale re-telling's like me then you might like this book and even though I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked I will still eventually watch the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...