Friday, February 20, 2015

My Interview With Melissa Frost

This week Melissa Frost is in the interview seat.




When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
I started writing when I was in the second grade. Throughout school, I wrote a multitude of stories. I finished my first, full-length book in high school.

Can you tell us about your upcoming book? And how you came up with the idea?
My most recent release was the third instalment in my Amazon Bestselling series, The Dating Tutor. Book three featured Matt, the rough hockey stud, as he entered his first year of college. I had the idea to write this story because Matt was in the second book of the series and had more to say. He was close friends with the main character, but we didn’t get to see much from him. I felt he deserved a spotlight. As a result, book three was born.

When writing about something you don’t know very much about where does your information come from?
Research, research, and more research. In Matt’s Story, the girl he’s interested in plays soccer. I don’t know much at all about the sport, so I had to do a little bit of research. I also did a little research into hockey drills and regulations for Matty. Though hockey has been a big part of the series, I still had more to learn.

What is the easiest and the hardest part to write?
The easiest part is the actual writing. It’s a joy. The hardest part is writing up query letters, working through edits, and blurbs. I swear, they’re harder than writing the actual story!

Do you ever experience writers block? If so how do you find best to cure it?
I do! For me, the best cure for writers block is to give myself a daily requirement. If I force myself to sit down and write a couple pages each day, things start to flow and I end up past the spot where I found myself stuck.

Is there anything you would like to say to your readers?
Thank you!!! I’ve had such a great response for my young adult stories. My readers are absolutely amazing.

Have you written a book that you cannot seem to get published?
One of the first books I ever wrote was a straight up blood and guts horror story. I had a difficult time shopping that one. It was very grim and dark. It was also one of my first projects, so my writing style wasn’t nearly as tight as it is now. Even so, it is still one of my favorites.

Do your characters try to make like bunnies and create ever more convolved plots for your or do you have to coax the out of your character?
My characters have lives of their own. They take the story and run with it. It usually doesn’t take much coaxing to get a story going.

Out of all your books which is your favourite character and why?
That would be Damien from the above mentioned horror story. He is such a sweet guy. He would do anything to keep the people he cares about safe. And in his world, that isn’t easy.

Is anything in any of your books based on real life experiences or is it purely all imagination?
Everything I write is imagination. I try to avoid real life, because writing for me is an escape. The world can be such an ugly place at times, so when I lose myself in a romantic story, like my short Coming Home from the Night Life Anthology, I want to forget all of that for just a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...